Eat to Give
Discovered on a trip to Utah, Even Stevens craft sandwich shop has the right idea with feeding the hungry in more than one way... to date, they've donated more than two million sandwiches to over 80 community partners in 20 locations nationwide.
Here's a retelling of how they describe their deliciously do-good mission:
- Members of the Cause team research, vet out and build relationships with non-profit partners that provide food and services to the Even Stevens neighborhoods. Each location partners with four local non-profit organizations.
- Even Stevens gives their partners access to an account with their food distributor, Sysco. Through this account they can order fresh or shelf-stable sandwich ingredients as well as operational supplies at strategically negotiated wholesale prices.
- They open the restaurant, staff it, and sell amazing sandwiches to customers whose hunger reminds them how important access to food is!
- At the end of each month, the number of sandwiches sold by each Even Stevens location is multiplied by the average cost of ingredients for their non-profit sandwiches ($.54 per sandwich). That amount is divvied up between the restaurant’s non-profit partners based on need. Each partner then receives their budget for that month (plus any roll-over amounts from past months).
- Even Stevens partners order whatever products they want off of an approved list of 150+ items whenever they need them and Sysco delivers those products right to their door! Their staff and volunteers then rally together to feed food insecure members of our community.