Fresh Take: Salmon
Salmon: One of nature's tastiest super foods: chalk full of Vitamin D, biotin and Omega 3's!
We try to source salmon that's caught wild in the USA, rather than farmed and shipped all around the world to arrive on your table.
For a fresh, brunchy take on this favorite food, we recently took a cue from Ina Garten's Cooking for Jeffery and modified it to make our own D+L SALMON PIZZA. Enjoy!
D+L SALMON PIZZA RECIPE:
- 1 ball of store bought, raw pizza dough
- a sprinkling of baking flour for the dough
- 3/4 pound of freshly sliced smoked salmon (e.g. from the Zabar's counter, if you're lucky enough to live in NYC)
- 1 block of reduced fat cream cheese
- finely chopped red onion
- some capers
- a sprinkling of shredded mozzarella
- thinly julienned lemon slices (you'll be eating them, so make sure they're super thin)
Now for the play by play:
- Pull the dough out into a rough circle shape (you know what pizza looks like!)
- Using a super hot oven (on the max temp) or a super hot grill, cook the pulled dough for a few minutes on a pizza stone: It's done when the outside is golden brown to your taste.
- Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella on the piping hot crust (it should melt)
- Spread cream cheese to taste on the crust
- Start dressing the pizza pie with smoked salmon and those super thin lemon slices
- Pepper the pizza with capers and finely diced red onion to taste
- Slice it all up and serve with hot coffee and homemade lemonade