Mercy Learning Center
The Mercy Learning Center in Bridgeport, Connecticut believes if you educate a woman, you educate a family. Through their noble pursuits, they're helping hundreds of underserved women develop the literacy skills they need to make progress in their lives.
The women at Mercy Learning Center are from the United States, as well as over 50 different countries of origin. They are diverse in age and educational ability, but all of the women at MLC are undereducated and are motivated to get the basic education they need and deserve.
In 2016-17, MLC educated 953 women:
- The students were aged 17 to 77.
- 97% of students reported an annual household income below $40,000.
- The majority of women were the mothers or primary caregivers of children under the age of 18.
- The women represented 47 different countries of origin and were 72% Hispanic/Latina, 18% Black/African American, 3% Asian and 7% White.
- All of the women functioned below the intermediate level (roughly 4th grade) in reading upon enrollment.